The Mystery of the Haunted Vampire

We've moved! Please check out www.hauntedvampire.com, the new home for our 'Tales of supernatural horrors!'

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Ancient tunnels found in Wakefield

Is Exham Priory near there? From Wakefield Today:

A DOG helped to unearth what could be an ancient labyrinth under the city after it smelled a rat when builders unearthed a mysterious hole in a car park. Builders were resurfacing the Tarmac of the Old Vicarage, on Zetland Street, when they came across the hole on Monday. The discovery re-ignited rumours about a serious of tunnels linking the old vicarage to the cathedral and possibly beyond. Dave Wiper, of the Modern Savage Tattoo Parlour, one of a number of shops based in the building, was the first to discover there might be some truth to the whispers when he fell down the hole chasing after a friend’s dog and ended up in the masonic lodge across the road. He said: “There have always been these rumours – and everyone thought they were just that – but when this hole appeared we didn’t know what to think. “The dog, Sandy, is a trained ratter and, the next thing I knew, she started making the hole bigger and then disappeared. When I went in after her, I found myself in a 16th century cellar. “I couldn’t see a thing, so I felt my way along the wall, which went on forever, then I heard the dog running around in front of me. “I thought I had fallen into a crypt because I knew there used to be a graveyard nearby but then I felt a light switch. “I turned it on, realised I was somewhere I shouldn’t be, and made a quick exit.” The ancient warren has been one of the city’s freemasons’ best-kept secrets for years. A small stone staircase in the cellar of the Zetland Street lodge, which is built on the site of the old rectory, takes you even farther underground to the first of a series of rooms with passageways leading off them.
Entire story well worth reading. Many stories from Wakefield Today make it onto my blog. Certainly more than my local newspaper. Coincidence?

1 Comments:

Blogger Carnacki said...

I thought that was the Edinburgh tunnels. I post too often and it's begun to blur together.

7/20/2005 07:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home